On the third Monday of the month a group of enthusiastic knitters meet in the Resource Room at the Duxbury Free Library. From 6:00 - 8:00 you can find knitters of various skill levels with yarn between their fingers. We would love you to join us. If you can't, follow us here!

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

From the Library Shelves

When I started to knit socks, I quickly fell in love with Vogue Knitting the Ultimate Sock Book. (If you don't believe me, check out my post from October 18, 2013!)

Since my mother is a sock-knitting-machine, I seem to have a never ending supply of socks . . . so of course I stopped knitting them. I moved on to mittens and finger-less gloves. It seems when I finish a pair . . . some fit great, some fit so-so, and some just did not fit. I would check my gauge and check the yarn weight and in the end I would just give away the ones that didn't fit.



My problem is solved with Knit Mitts by Kate Atherley! This book does for mittens what the Vogue Knitting Ultimate Sock Book does for socks. Directions on how . . . and where . . . to measure your hand for the perfect fit. Knitting for a gift . . . or for a hand you can't measure? No problem . . . the author did a hand-size survey and gives some averages.

Kate Atherley provides directions for stretchy cast-ons, different thumb types, felting, linings . . . and strategies for warmth! There are patterns for just a plain basic mitten, two-color mittens, thrummed mittens, cabled mittens - you name it and she has a pattern in there for you!

It's a great book to check out of your library . . . but if you are going to knit a few pairs of mittens . . . buy it. It's a must-have for your personal library.


                                                              click here to place a hold

Until next time, keep your nose in a book or your fingers in fiber.

                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment