On the third Monday of the month a group of enthusiastic knitters meet in the Resource Room at the Duxbury Free Library. From 6:00 - 8:00 you can find knitters of various skill levels with yarn between their fingers. We would love you to join us. If you can't, follow us here!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

From the Library's Shelves . . . the Digital Shelves!

One of my 2013 New Year's Resolutions was to organize my patterns. What a mess I had . . . booklets, photocopies and pages ripped from the many knitting magazines I had . . . all in a pile. But I did it. I found huge loose-leaf binders and put each pattern in it's own page protector and then filed them away. All the scarf and shawls together, all the men's together,  the children's, women's cardigans and pullovers - each with their own spot to live in my bookcase. Very neat, very organized, very - hey, these-take-up-a-lot-of-room!

But I know if I go through and throw some of them out . . . well you know too. Someone is going to ask me for it or I am going to suddenly want to knit it. Looking at the binders does make me happy that I am now living in the 'digital age'. Reading, and being able to keep, a magazine on my iPad has kept my loose-leaf binder collection from taking over my den. I can keep as many as I want, all accessible at a finger tip. 

To make it even better . . . I can import the pattern from the magazine into an app on my iPad and knit it from there. Directions, graphs, I can make notes . . . all with no paper involved. I use KnitCompanion. Can it get any easier?

  
Well, maybe not easier, but it gets better! Knitting magazines for free! If your library has Zinio available (and of course Duxbury Free Library does!!), you have at your finger tips, access to magazines right there from your comfortable rocking chair while you sip a glass of wine. If you want, stay in your jammies. Interweave Knits and Knitter's Magazine are both available. 

Interweave KnitsKnitter's Magazine

 



 
Click here to get started. 


Go ahead, try it. If you need help give the library a call - you don't even have to tell us if you are in your jammies.


Until next time, keep your nose in a book or your fingers in fiber.







No comments:

Post a Comment