On the third Monday of the month a group of enthusiastic knitters meet in the Resource Room at the Duxbury Free Library. From 6:00 - 8:00 you can find knitters of various skill levels with yarn between their fingers. We would love you to join us. If you can't, follow us here!

Sunday, January 26, 2014

If More is Better . . . Then Let's Increase!

I am still working on the plain stockinette stitch sweater for my husband. . . although it is working up pretty quick.
When it is next to a purl stitch,
the bar created when increasing
will just blend in with the other
 purl stitches.

I have just finished the cuff on the second sleeve and I need to increase 4 stitches evenly across the row. My favorite increase when I am doing it in ribbing is the easiest - the bar increase (knit into the front and back of the stitch). If you work this increase using a knit stitch that is followed by a purl stitch, the bar that is created will be hidden in the purl 'gully'. (If you use it on plain stockinette stitch the bar will be visible.)

Okay,  I'm going to go finish the row. Then I think I knit a few rows and start the arm increases. I'll use M1 (make one) increases. I like the way they blend in with stockinette stitch. 

Come back and I'll show you how to do them so they slant to the right and to the left. 

Until next time, keep your nose in a book or your fingers in fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment