On the third Monday of the month a group of enthusiastic knitters meet in the Resource Room at the Duxbury Free Library. From 6:00 - 8:00 you can find knitters of various skill levels with yarn between their fingers. We would love you to join us. If you can't, follow us here!

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Don't Get Bent Out of Shape . . . Just Get the Right Needles for the Job!

At the end of the day . . . when dinner is over . . . when the dishes are done . . . when the coffee is made for the next morning . . . there is nothing better than sitting down with my knitting, a glass of wine (in my favorite wine glass which was given to me by a special person), and relaxing. 


Well, I thought I was relaxing!!

Then I put my knitting down for a second, and holy shamoley! Look at my needles! They were straight when I bought them. They were straight when I started knitting all these fleece-lined mittens. But now, after a few pairs of mitten cuffs . . . well, at this rate I will have the first pair of bamboo circular needles!

I knew I was using a smaller sized needle for worsted weight wool . . . and I knew the mock cable was a little tighter than a K2P2 ribbing . . . but wow. 

If nothing else, I guess the 'experts' are right. Sometimes if you are having trouble with a project, try switching your needles. Different types of wood will have different gripping capabilities.  I love my Addis for lace, but my KnitPicks double-pointeds are my favorite for socks. 

And yes, as you can see,  bamboo needles have a give to them and are easier on your hands!

Until next time, keep your nose in a book or your fingers in fiber.


No comments:

Post a Comment