On the third Monday of the month a group of enthusiastic knitters meet in the Resource Room at the Duxbury Free Library. From 6:00 - 8:00 you can find knitters of various skill levels with yarn between their fingers. We would love you to join us. If you can't, follow us here!

Friday, January 9, 2015

Mittens . . . Mittens . . . I'm Still Knittin' Mittens!

Seven Day Forecast
Brrrr . . . .maybe this is why I am mitten crazy! 
It's down right chilly in the Boston area! 
It was 4 degrees at my house this morning.
 Mitten weather!


After knitting a couple of pairs of mittens, I have become kind of obsessed.

The first couple of pairs I did were 'okay' . . . but I wasn't really happy with the way the thumbs came out.
I had to do a little 'creative weaving' where I picked up stitches to join the thumb to the hand. They were also generic mittens . . . meaning either mitten could go on either hand.





The obsession kicked in and I began pulling out all my patterns and looking through all kinds of books. I'm starting to take pieces from each one and combine them together in my search for 'the perfect pattern'.





In my last pattern scouring, I found a classic pattern, but this one is 'hand-specific'. I gave it a try with some royal blue yarn in my stash . . . and since I still have a supply of fleece . . . they are of course fleece-lined. 

This time when I went to work the thumb, I picked up more stitches than the pattern called for. (Then on the next row I just decreased down to the amount called for.

I also did the mock cable over 2 stitches instead of 3 (MUCH easier!!). 




Perhaps the next pair will reach that near perfection status. I'll let you know if they do. In fact, I'll give you 'the perfect pattern' when I achieve it.



Until the next time, keep your nose in a book or your fingers in fiber.











No comments:

Post a Comment