On the third Monday of the month a group of enthusiastic knitters meet in the Resource Room at the Duxbury Free Library. From 6:00 - 8:00 you can find knitters of various skill levels with yarn between their fingers. We would love you to join us. If you can't, follow us here!

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Stash Buster Idea #1

I've been spending a lot of my 'knitting time' doing gardening/yard work lately. So instead of thinking about cables and short rows . . . I'm spreading mulch and staking my lilies.

Which led to my frustration one day. Am I doing something wrong . . . or is this stake just poorly designed? Who has a lily that is tall enough to go in the hoop right away? 

So I voiced my frustration to my husband . . . who told me to just use some string and tie the lily to the stake until it's tall enough.

Oh, okay. He gave me some white twine and I thought 'ick'. That will look terrible in my newly mulched garden.

I brushed the dirt off me . . . ran up to my stash . . . and came back out with a nice ball of cotton yarn. (Covington, by Plymouth Yarns. Left over from the cutest Nora Gaughan vest.)



Look. Doesn't that look better?

I tied all my lily stalks to the stakes and sat back and admired my handiwork. I thought 'What a clever little camouflage use of that green cotton.' 

Then I thought . . . 'Oh, maybe I just made extra work for myself. Maybe I'm suppose to just shove the stakes deeper into the ground and pull them out as the plant grows.'

I guess this makes me more of a knitter than a gardener. 



It's going to rain tomorrow. That's probably a good thing . . . it will keep me out of the garden. I think I'll stay in and knit and think of more stash buster ideas.

Until next time, keep your nose in a book or your fingers in fiber.





No comments:

Post a Comment