On the third Monday of the month a group of enthusiastic knitters meet in the Resource Room at the Duxbury Free Library. From 6:00 - 8:00 you can find knitters of various skill levels with yarn between their fingers. We would love you to join us. If you can't, follow us here!

Monday, September 30, 2013

Sock Knit-a-Long #1

Well it seems fall is officially here. The leaves are changing, it's getting darker earlier, and the nights are certainly cooler. I guess it's also time to pack away the sandals and think about breaking out the socks.

I admit I am a little spoiled when it comes to socks. I have a draw full of socks in every color imaginable - all hand-knit by my mother. Every year around this time I am asked "How is your sock supply? Do you need anymore?"  Let's face it - there is nothing like wearing a pair of hand-knit socks on a cold day. (They kept my toes warm during many of my son's youth hockey games!)

I'm not sure why many knitters are intimidated by the thought of making socks. Is it because the directions refer to heel flaps and gussets? Perhaps it's the thought of doing the Kitchener stitch for the first time? I'm not sure. I only know I love to wear them.

Here's an idea - let's take the fear away and make a pair together . . .  a simple top down pair with a ribbed leg. We'll have our own knit-a-long. First step is to head out to your local yarn shop and pick up a skein of sock yarn and a set of double-pointed needles.

We'll start tomorrow.

Until next time, keep your nose in a book or your fingers in fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment