On the third Monday of the month a group of enthusiastic knitters meet in the Resource Room at the Duxbury Free Library. From 6:00 - 8:00 you can find knitters of various skill levels with yarn between their fingers. We would love you to join us. If you can't, follow us here!

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Sock Knit-a-Long #2

Did you buy your yarn yet? I am going to use a blue/green blend of wool, nylon and bamboo from Plymouth Yarn. I did my gauge swatch and I am getting 8 stitches per inch. Next I measured the widest part of my foot, and I got 8". So . . . 

gauge x foot measurement = number of stitches to cast on.

In my case, 8x8=64. I will cast on 64 stitches.

Since we are doing a ribbed leg, just make sure your number of stitches is divisible by 4 and then the K2P2 pattern will be accommodated. If your number is not divisible by four, just add or subtract a stitch or two until it is.

Go ahead and cast on. Use either the long-tail cast on or the cable cast-on for a firm edge that will also have a little flex to it. Divide the stitches onto 3 needles, be careful not to twist any, and join. (I always cast on one extra stitch when I knit in the round. Then I take the last stitch from the right-hand needle, slip it to the left needle and I knit the first two stitches together. It helps make the join a little neater.)

Work in a K2P2 rib for a few inches.

More to follow tomorrow.

Until next time, keep your nose in a book or your fingers in fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment