On the third Monday of the month a group of enthusiastic knitters meet in the Resource Room at the Duxbury Free Library. From 6:00 - 8:00 you can find knitters of various skill levels with yarn between their fingers. We would love you to join us. If you can't, follow us here!

Monday, October 7, 2013

Sock Knit-a-Long #5

Finally! I have worked the K2P2 ribbing for 7" for my leg . . . I am ready to start the fun stuff! First is the heel. Are you ready too?





   
Before you start your heel, you want to have 25% of your stitches on the first needle, 50% on the second needle and 25% on the third needle.

I have 64 stitches - so I put 16 stitches on needle #1, 32 on needle #2 and the last 16 on needle #3.







So far so good!




Next I'm going to knit across the stitches on needle #1 with needle #3. I will end up with just two needles and
50% of my stitches on each needle.

In my case I have 32 stitches on each needle.

(If you find it too awkward to knit across using needle #3, use your fourth needle and then just slide them onto needle #3 when you finish the row).


Okay, time for the heel flap!

Row 1: Slip 1 stitch as if to purl, purl to the end.
Row 2: *Slip 1 stitch as if to purl, knit 1 stitch*. Repeat from * to * to the end of the row. (slipping the first stitch will make it easier to pick up stitches along the edge later).





Here is the front of my
heel flap.
This is the back side of my
heel flap.
Work as many heel rows as you have stitches for the flap. In my case, I have 32 stitches, so I will work 32 heel rows. (Or, 16 repeats of Row 1 & Row 2).

End with a knit row. 









Okay, go ahead and do yours . . . tomorrow we'll turn the heel!

Until then, keep your nose in a book or your fingers in fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment