On the third Monday of the month a group of enthusiastic knitters meet in the Resource Room at the Duxbury Free Library. From 6:00 - 8:00 you can find knitters of various skill levels with yarn between their fingers. We would love you to join us. If you can't, follow us here!

Thursday, July 28, 2016

When It's Time To Substitute

I have finished the sweater for my aunt . . . and I'm getting a little bored making fleece-lined mittens. I decided it was time to take on a project with  little 'meat' to it. Something with a pattern that would make me think a little . . . something that would make me want to knit it up so fast because I couldn't wait to wear it. You know the kind I'm talking about . . . don't you?

When I went to a knitting group led by a dear friend that use to own a local yarn shop . . . she would have been a dear friend even if she didn't own a yarn shop!! Well, I found my next project, Two of the knitters there were working on it and I fell in love with it.




It's called Counterpane Masterpiece by Nicky Epstein.

Look at it . . . isn't it gorgeous? I thought if I started now and knitted like a mad woman . . . I could have it done to wear this fall. I know it's ambitious . . . but dream big . . . right?





First step is to order my yarn. It calls for Rowan Scottish Tweed DK. I went  on-line to order it thinking about what color I want. Something light that will show off the stitch work . . . but not so light that it will show the dirt . . . because I admit it, I can be a slob. I quickly find out that the yarn has been discontinued. ERGH . . . I hate when that happens. Now I'm going to have to do a little thinking and yes . . . pick a substitute yarn. (It's always so much easier to use the yarn the designer calls for . . . lazy I know).

Okay. I can do this. The pattern calls for 25 skeins and each skein has about 123 yards. So I need 3,075 yards. It's also 100% pure wool. Since I'm going to be wearing it outside I'm going to stick with wool. I'll look at blends but I don't want anything that will pill too easily or be too soft and not allow it to keep it's shape since there will be some weight to it. I want it to have the same drape, but also be pretty sturdy since I think I may decide to wear it f o r e v e r.

Okay, I'm off to shop. I'll let you know what I pick out!

Until next time, keep your nose in a book or your fingers in fiber. 





No comments:

Post a Comment