On the third Monday of the month a group of enthusiastic knitters meet in the Resource Room at the Duxbury Free Library. From 6:00 - 8:00 you can find knitters of various skill levels with yarn between their fingers. We would love you to join us. If you can't, follow us here!

Friday, September 19, 2014

From the Library Shelves

I have found the saying, "Too Many Books, Too Little Time" to be my motto lately. Patrons are checking out books asking me, "Have you read this?"  . . . my co-workers are having book discussions and I have to cover my ears from hearing spoilers. Then I remember . . . oh that's right . . . I spent the summer reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

I was hooked on the first book and proceeded to plow through the rest, spending my summer in the Highlands dreaming of kilts, whiskey, natural medicine and of course, Jamie. Then when I discovered there would be a Starz TV series, along with the release of book #8 (Written in My Own Heart's Blood), I made it a mission to read them all.  


What do you think, some type
of a homespun yarn?


The TV series quickly hooked me in too. At first I just wanted to see the characters come to life, but then I started to pay closer attention to what they were wearing. Sure, there is plaid galore, great leather boots, and beautiful woolen gowns . . . but who is doing all the knitting?! Mrs. Fitzgibbons wears wrist warmers that go to her elbows and I swear I saw boot cuffs on Dougal. Claire is going to make shawls the fashion piece for winter and her cowl has every knitter out looking for size 50 needles! 







Doesn't it make you want to run to the
 yarn store for tweed yarn?















What do you think, is that a
felted shawl on Geillis Duncan?


















I can't wait for Saturday night so I can see what other knitted items appear. But come on . . . let's have the pattern book! There are currently 4 different Outlander groups on Ravelry and I can only guess how many people have been googling 'Outlander knitting' . . . I know I have!! Clearly the demand is there!!

I'm going to make my cowl in black.







If you haven't read Outlander . . . well I'm not sure what you are waiting for.



click here to place a hold






Until next time, keep your nose in a book or your fingers in fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment