On the third Monday of the month a group of enthusiastic knitters meet in the Resource Room at the Duxbury Free Library. From 6:00 - 8:00 you can find knitters of various skill levels with yarn between their fingers. We would love you to join us. If you can't, follow us here!

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Have a Little Faith.

Have you ever done something and even as you are doing it you know you are wrong, and yet for some unfathomable reason . . . you keep doing it? (I'm sure there is a definition of stupidity that could be inserted here!).  I was working on the button band for Judy's sweater and as I was knitting I thought to myself, 'I'm not going to like this'. And yet, I kept knitting.


By adding an extra stitch to the left
of the cable, I can leave the cable
undisturbed when I seam the band to
 the fronts.
 It's a 13 stitch band that is part of the peplum, but after the peplum ends it is knit separately and then sewn to the front. But the band ends with 4 cable stitches. There isn't a stitch on the end to use for seaming the band to the front. I realized this and yet I kept on knitting . . . even though I knew that when I sew the band to the fronts I am going to have to go into the cable . . . and I know I won't like it. 

I won't tell you how many rows I did before I had the 'duh' moment. ("Duh Karen, just add a stitch after the cable to use for seaming'.) So I ripped it out, added the stitch and now I am a happy camper.

Then I realized this is the second time I 'tweaked' the directions for this pattern . . . and both times I had to really think about it and convince myself to do it. 

Why is this? Why can't I just have enough faith in my skills to go ahead and change things without over analyzing it? It's just yarn after all. If it doesn't work out it can be easily ripped out. Hmm . . . maybe it's symbolic . . . maybe it's not just knitting. Maybe I'm just not a risk taker for anything. Maybe I am the type of person that would never go white water rafting or bungee jump off a cliff without debating it for a week. Maybe I'm over analyzing now.  

What do you think? Is your knitting style a reflection of your life? 

Maybe I'll go home tonight and do something really out-of-the-box, you know - like wear white after Labor Day.  Just to show that I can. I think I'll think about it.

Until next time, keep your nose in a book or your fingers in fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment